Medical Rehabilitation en rehabilitación neurológica
Rehabilitative medicine plays an important role in neurological rehabilitation. The knowledge that rehabilitation doctors have in the musculoskeletal system is crucial not only to assess and issue the most effective treatment, but also to improve the quality of life of each patient.
In Neural the rehabilitation doctor is the one who coordinates the treatment of the patient from the hospital admission phase to discharge in the subacute phase.
In most cases, the patient goes on an outpatient basis every day to continue his rehabilitation.
Functions of the rehabilitation doctor in Neural
Coordination of the hospital admission phase
Hospital admission is an acute phase of the disease. In these cases the patient is stable but needs to be admitted to a hospital.
In this phase, the rehabilitation doctor performs the following functions:
- Medical control of the patient and coordinator with the rest of the medical professionals involved: he/she keeps up to date with the general condition of the patient and takes the necessary measures to ensure the stability and functional improvement of the patient.
- Coordination with the rehabilitation team: stay up to date with the rest of the professionals involved in the rehabilitation of the patient (neuropsychologist, occupational therapist, physiotherapist …) to design the intervention and check that everything works correctly.
- Communication with the family and patient: from the first moment, the rehabilitation doctor knows and introduces himself to the patient and family. Start a close treatment and schedule frequent follow-up meetings to communicate how the evolution is going.
The rehabilitation doctor knows which rehabilitation goals are a priority for the patient’s life as well as plans the discharge at home with the necessary time.
Monitoring and evaluation of outpatient treatment
In this phase, the rehabilitation physician continues to monitor the patient’s treatment and evaluate, together with the rest of the team, the improvements that are achieved as the rehabilitation progresses.
In the outpatient phase the rehabilitation doctor performs:
- Periodic examination of the physical and functional state of the patient: at the beginning of the rehabilitated treatment a general initial examination of the patient is carried out and reviewed in the time frames that the rehabilitating physician considers appropriate in each case.
- Application of botulinum toxin and support products: throughout the rehabilitation the convenience of applying complementary treatments such as botulinum toxin (to control the spasticity that occurs after the injury) or the implementation of orthosis products (for prevention of malformations or to improve patient autonomy).
- Evolutionary interviews with the patient: evolution interviews are scheduled throughout the treatment where it is reviewed that the objectives set by Neural are met. The rehabilitation doctor listens to the new needs that may be happening in the patient’s life.